PUBLIC HOUSES BEFORE 1800
The top photograph was taken in 1890. It was then the Cock Bridge Inn and Esau Ratcliffe and his wife were innkeepers.
The lower photograph was taken in 1999 and, in common with many country hostelries, it is now as much an eating place as a pub.
In 1772 the Lower Town was sold at auction by Alexander Nowell and in the papers of the Lomax family, who bought most of the lots, the Queen's Head is mentioned. It was leased at the time of the sale to another Lawrence Walmesley and may also have been one of the original ale-house of 1635.
Shown here at the end of the nineteenth century as the Queen's Hotel this was not only an ale-house but, like most other pubs in the town, a farm with 16 acres. One of the conditions of Lawrence Walmesley's lease was that he kept a dog.
The horse drawn omnibus used to run from here to Blackburn every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday (not a bad bus stop) but in 1903 the pub was condemned as not being up to standard and demolished.
In the centre of this view down Blackburn Road is the Queen's Head and the larger gable end behind it is the Cross Axes.
Number eighteen on the auction list of 1772 was Jonathon Calvert's tenement which was also identified in Lomax family papers as the Cross Axes.
Home of the "Blue Room" in the 1970s it has been "modernised" by taking out most of the internal walls.
In the Surveyor of the Highway Accounts for 1776 is the entry:
"To ale at Cliff for people gathering stones in the Calder, 3s 8d."
This ale would have been bought at the Grey Horse, later known as the White Horse and later still as the Old Billy where John Mercer lived and carried out his experiments for a while.
The Old Billy lost its licence at the same time as the Queen's Hotel in 1903 and was converted into three dwellings until eventually being demolished.
The building on the right with the large black sign on the wall is the Dog and Otter which comes in the next section.
1 This is not shown on a map of 1763 and there may have been an earlier pub near the ford and old bridge by-passed by the turnpike in 1790.
2 We now think earlier reference to the pub having a "bearyard" was due to a piece of land called Bear Yard (or Ballygorge) being part of the pub's lease.
Old Harwood, Louie Pollard and Harry E. Eaton, Great Harwood Civic Society, 1973. Pages 9,10, 12
Great Harwood Gleanings, Louie Pollard, 1978, Lancs County Council. Passim
1066. Great Harwood from William the Conqueror to the Millennium, Louie Pollard, Great Harwood Civic Society, 1999. Pages 14, 15, 22, 26
© Great Harwood History Society 2002 - 2017
What's been updated, edited and added.
Great Harwood Appreciation Society
a site to celebrate all that is Great Harwood, its history, culture, countryside, chip shops and unique character.