The hills to the west of Great Harwood, including Dean Clough, were common land. Piecemeal enclosure had been taking place for years until 1762 when Sir Thomas Hesketh and Alexander Nowell applied to parliament for permission to enclose the moor dividing the remaining land and formalise existing arrangements.
Although housing is encroaching the moor still looms large over Great Harwood.
Not the wildest of moors but here from the Lidgett Brook it rises some 250 ft in half a mile which may not seem much but it's tough walking.
Smallshaw Hey is on the rise and Belmont Farm is near the crest.
Almost level with Belmont Farm.
Smalley Delph (Quarry)
The moor was a source of stone for building and the rough grasses, gorse and bracken on the spoil heaps and disused workings perhaps give some idea of what the moor looked like before the land was improved.
Entrance to Smalley Delph right and spoil heaps below.
The deep valleys cut by little streams also provide arbour against land improvement.
Dewhurst Farm sits atop the moor.
Dean Clough lies to the north, left, Great Harwood is to the east, straight on.
© Great Harwood History Society 2002 - 2017
Great Harwood Appreciation Society