Content

Home
People
Places
History
Fair
Maps
Links

Places > Houses and Cottages> Weavers' Cottages
History > Industry > Cotton > Weavers' Cottages

GREAT HARWOOD

Handloom Weavers' Cottages

Little, if any, physical evidence of the carding mills is left, many cottages have been demolished and those which are left have been altered to such an extent that it is not always easy to identify them. Weaving was also associated with the many farms in the area, plans for a farmhouse built as late as 1810 include a weaving shop, but again "physical traces are hard to isolate".1
However documents show that weavers' cottages do remain at:

Dean Lane

Photo: Brian Sheperd

 

 

 

Dean Lane,

Back o' Bowley

Mercer cottage

John Mercer's mother and stepfather built this in 1809 and he lived here for a while.

 

Lowerfold, Great Harwod

Lowerfold


Lowerfold

Lowerfold Road

 

Lowerfold Road

 

This was one farm house which was converted into three cottages and at a later date two of them were joined together. The original building dates from the mid seventeenth century I'm told.

Paradise Cottage

 

 

Hindle Fold

Paradise Cottage was leased2and built3 by John Hindle in 1763.

The wife of James Lomax, Lord of the Manor, ran a Catholic school here.

Delph Rd

 

 

 

Delph Road

Just above the Commercial Hotel.

 

 

 

Edge End, Great Harwood

 

 

Edge End Cottages

 

The 1851 census shows handloom weaving taking place here.

Blackburn Old Road

Laneside

 

 

 

 

Laneside Cottages

Four Winds, Great Harwood

and

 

 

Four Winds

 

 

My informant believes this cottages is of similar age to the ones in Lowerfold Road.

 

 

Higher Cliffe Cttages

Cliffe Lane

There are two terraces at The Cliffe the row above
the Dog and Otter bearing this date stone

1821

Lower Cliffe cottages

 

 

 

the other, below the pub, was built about 1804.

Blackburn Road, Great Harwod
Cobblers, Blackburn Road

 

Blackburn Road

 

Two of these cottages are dated 1780

Cop Hall, Italian

 

 

 

and at Cop Hall a cottage industry of sorts continues.

The Wellington Hotel in the centre of town was originally a cotton warehouse and private dwelling built by Adam Dugdale in 1801.

Handloom weaving went into decline from the 1820s as demand fell after the Napoleonic Wars and power looms could produce all that was required cheaply although there were still 31 weavers at Whalley Banks in 1851 and the trade only finally died out in the 1870s. Ironically it was a maker of handlooms who began the revolution of cotton manufacturing in Great Harwood in 1844.

 

Map of cottages

 

Places > Houses and Cottages> Weavers' Cottages
History > Industry > Cotton > Weavers' Cottages

 

Sources

1 Industrial Heritage: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Gt Harwood;M Rothwell, Hyndburn Local History Society,. 1980. Page 3
2 LRO: DDLX 9/1. 1763 Apr 20 Sir Thomas Hesketh, Bart. to John Hindle lease for three lives
3 Old Harwood, Louie Pollard and Harry E. Eaton, Great Harwood Civic Society, 1973. Page 20

Industrial Heritage: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Gt Harwood;M Rothwell, Hyndburn Local History Society,. 1980. Pages 2, 3, 4
Old Harwood, Louie Pollard and Harry E. Eaton, Great Harwood Civic Society, 1973. Pages 10, 19, 20
Great Harwood Gleanings, Louie Pollard, 1978, Lancs County Council. Passim
People and Places in Great Harwood, Louie Pollard. Pages 2, 15
A Great Harwood Miscellany, Louie Pollard. Pages 10, 13, 14
1066. Great Harwood from William the Conqueror to the Millennium, Louie Pollard, Great Harwood Civic Society, 1999. Pages 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 18
Festival of Britain Programme, "Our Town", 1951. Pages 29, 35, 41

 

© Great Harwood History Society 2002 - 2017

Search Query

 

About
G H H S

 

Contact us

 

What's new
What's been updated, edited and added.

 

Great Harwood Family and Local History Group
AND
arrodgen

for everyone researching the history of or their ancestry in Gt Harwood and surrounding towns.

 

Great Harwood Appreciation Society
a site to celebrate all that is Great Harwood, its history, culture, countryside, chip shops and unique character.