Lowerfold Park was laid out on land bought by three members of the Congregational Church, Messers. R. Hartley, J.H. Taylor and H.M. Thompson. The Official Opening Ceremony took place in June 1914. Originally for members only it was still known as the Congregational Park many years later.
Opening the bowling green.
The bowling green was in front of the pavilion, inside were billiard and table tennis tables and a room for social events.
The bowling green, crown of course,
The three tennis courts are behind the ladies (the present two are further north) and had newly planted flower beds beside them in 1914.
Membership was one shilling per year (5 pence) in the 1920s
There were tennis and bowling clubs and organised events such as this "carnival" in 1926.
It was the centre of social life for Congregationalists for more than 30 years until bought by the Council.
In the foreground, in a small delph, was a children's
The delph has been filled in, the area leveled and the
Thanks to Kevin Lambert for the postcards and membership card.
People and Places in Great Harwood, Louie Pollard. Page 17
© Great Harwood History Society 2002 - 2017
Great Harwood Appreciation Society