In 1921 land near Hindle Fold and Allsprings Drive was given to the Council for pleasure grounds by James Boardman, William Pickup and Henry Milton Thompson. The area to the west of Church Lane was landscaped, trees and shrubs were donated, and became Memorial Park with the Garden of Remembrance, the larger area to the east being used as playing fields.
Plan from the Trappes-Lomax collection
The Budgie Hut
It might not look much but many happy hours were spent here, by the budgies too.
But with "resources" being stretched the birds had to go. Then, with some unauthorised help, the hut was remodeled.
August 2000 from almost the same place as the Remembrance Day 1949 shot.
Top of the park
Not good but if you can just make out a hazy shape like a cloud in the background that's it.
Looking out to Read
Great Harwood Gleanings, Louie Pollard, 1978, Lancs County Council. Pages
125 - 126
© Great Harwood History Society 2002 - 2017
Great Harwood Appreciation Society