HOME HISTORY BUILDINGS PARKS COUNTRY PUBS COTTON FAIR MAPS LINKS MISCELLANY

GREAT HARWOOD

Open spaces / Memorial Park / Garden of Remembrance / Sports Field - Church Lane - Allsprings Drive - Brantfell Road / Bottom Rec. / Lowerfold Park
Churchfield / Top Rec. / Lyndon Avenue Playground / Norden Valley Recreation Area / Garden Street / Greenhill Playground / Bank Mill

BOTTOM REC.

Windsor Road Recreation Ground

This land, 6 acres 2 roods 19 perches, was gifted to the town by Mrs. Helen Trappes Lomax and Mrs. Helen Mary Maxima Howell in 1895 to be used for "recreation and enjoyment ".1 It was stipulated that there was to be "no building or erection of any kind either permanent or temporary other than a caretakers house and necessary outbuildings and such ornamental shelters and other similar erections as are usual in such cases."2 In the 1950s the council proposed to build on a small part of the land however nothing came of it.3

The east wall of Albion Mill and St. Lawrence Mill chimney form the background.
Children's swings, slides and climbing frames

There is a children's playground at the western end but no buildings and the rest
of the area is used for general recreation and unorganised sports and games.

Grassed area from Park Road with hills rising behind Albion Mill and St Lawrence Mill chimney
Photo Brian Sheperd

 

Map of parks

 

Open spaces / Memorial Park / Garden of Remembrance / Sports Field - Church Lane - Allsprings Drive - Brantfell Road / Bottom Rec. / Lowerfold Park
Churchfield / Top Rec. / Lyndon Avenue Playground / Norden Valley Recreation Area / Garden Street / Greenhill Playground / Bank Mill

 

HOME / HISTORY / BUILDINGS / PARKS / COUNTRY / PUBS / COTTON / FAIR / MAPS / LINKS / MISCELLANY

 

Sources

1 A Great Harwood Miscellany, Louie Pollard, 47
2 LRO: DDLX 8/36  4th December 1895
3 Trappes-Lomax collection

Last updated 17th April 2020 by ifinwig
Any rights I can claim are. Any rights belonging to others aren't